CBS Reports

Eastern Predictions

By Charles B. Siraes iii

"Who gives a fuck about dual meets?" I once heard a swimmer remark. "The only thing I give a damn about are the Eastern and the Nationals." With these words of wisdom in mind, and with Harvard's dual-meet slate (which ended last week with a traditional blitzing by Yale) finally over, the Crimson will be looking for greater glory when it returns to New Haven this weekend for the year's version of the Eastern Seabord Championships.

Standings in the Eastern League, which have usually been a reliable indicator of team strength for the Easterns, are particularly misleading this year. Princeton, which completed the dual-meet season undefeated, unseated Penn as League champion, but nevertheless the Quakers remain a slight favorite in the meet because of their superior depth despite sliding to fifth in the League.

Except for Penn's mysterious dual-meet collapse, the final League standings are a good indication of how the teams will finish at Yale this weekend. 1.) Princeton (7-0), which won the title for the first time ever, will definitely be a strong contender for team honors, having lost by just 19 points last year. 2.) Dartmouth (6-1) probably doesn't have the depth that Princeton and Penn have shown, but should finish in the top four. 3.) Yale (5-2) dropped to third in the League and lost more meets this year than it has since the 1930's, but is, like Penn, not all that bad, and could finish anywhere in the first five. 4.) Harvard (4-3) has some of the best individual talent in the League, but the Crimson's lack of overall depth will hurt, and it would be surprising if it finishes any higher than fifth. The rest of the 34 teams, including Navy and Cornell, have a few individual standouts but probably won't be able to move up into the top five.

Harvard, which ended the season with a fine 6-3 record, beat Penn, 58-55, but lost to Dartmouth by a point, Princeton by 19, and Yale, alas, by 33. The team radically improved its League and season record from last year's 2-5 League mark and a 5-5 record overall. And coach Don Gambril is, by all indications, building a program that could in the very near future put the Crimson on top of both the League and the Easterns. One good indication of this is the Crimson on top of both the League and the Easterns. One good indication of this is the Crimson's youth; 11 of the 18 swimmers going to New Haven are either sophomores or freshmen.

Although the Crimson isn't deep enough to challenge for the title this year, a number of Harvard entrants have good shots at firsts, and should be a factor influencing the final standings.

The 500-yd, freestyle could be the strongest race for Harvard. Fred Mitchell, seeded first, and Rich Baughman, third, are definite medal threats. Mitchell, however, will have to drop at least two seconds to win the race, and Baughman, who has been the Crimson's standout in recent weeks, could surprise everyone by taking it all.

In the 200-yd individual medley, Harvard's Dave Brumwell is seeded fifth, but only a second separates the top five. Brumwell will have to drop considerably to challenge the leaders.

The 50-yd, freestyle title virtually belongs to Navy's Rex Hand, with the Crimson's Tim Neville, rated 11th, a possible point-getter.

Yale, Princeton, Penn, Navy, and Dartmouth all have better times in the 400-yd, medley relay, but Harvard could move up a place or two and should get some points.

Fred Mitchell has the second fastest time in the 200-yd, free, and should do well. He could take first more easily if first-ranked Charlie Cambell of Princeton decides to use his talent in some other events.

Perhaps Harvard's best chance for a first this weekend is in the 1650-yd, free. Rich Baughman, who earlier in the year swam a 16:34, well under the Eastern record, is the favorite, and Mitchell, if he swims the race, could also finish very high.

Other possible finalists for Harvard, and their rankings, are Dave Brumwell, eighth in the 200-yd, breastroke; Phil Jonckheer in that same event; Tim Neville, tenth in the 100-yd, fly; the 800-yd, free relay team, sixth; Pete Michelevsky, eighth in the 100-yd, breaststroke; and the 400-yd, freestyle relay, fifth.