Voter Registration Set for Evenings

Special voter-registration sessions for Cambridge residents, including Harvard students, will begin tomorrow in all 11 election wards and will continue until March 23.

In the past, new voters could register only at the offices of the Election Commission at 362 Green Street between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. However, as a result of City Council action last week, additional registration sessions will be held at certain schools, churches, and firehouses around the City.

The special registration sessions are scheduled for Thursday evenings between 5 and 9 p.m., Monday evenings between 5 and 9 p.m., and Saturday mornings between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m.

The registration site closest to Harvard Square is the Parish House of the Unitarian Church at 3 Church St.

A registrant should have proof of six months of residency in Cambridge. The League of Women Voters suggests that the registrant should bring with him utility bills, a rent receipt, or a notarized statement from his landlord. Although six months of attendance at Harvard has not always been accepted as proof of Cambridge residency, it now will be, a spokeswoman for the League said.

In order to vote in the April 25 presidential primary, a resident must register by March 25 and have reached his 18th birthday the day of the primary.