Rutgers, Navy, Penn Smash Laxmen

The varsity lacrosse team had a disastrous southern trip as it dropped its first three games of the season and was outscored by a 41-10 margin.

The Crimson hopes to rebound this afternoon with a victory over Williams, who lost three out of four games on their southern tour.

Harvard's attack performed poorly in all three matches on the trip. The Crimson laxmen lost their first game against Rutgers. 12-3, compiling a total of only 14 shots on goal. Caleb Warren, co-captain Verdi DiSesa and Roger Hoefer tallied for the Crimson.

In the second game. Navy defeated Harvard, 16-3, with Steve Leahy. DiSesa and John Hagerty collecting the Crimson goals. Over the years, Harvard has compiled a dismal 0-29-1 record against the Midshipmen.

Playing their first match on artificial turf, the Crimson dropped the final game of the trip to Pennsylvania, 13-4. Hagerty scored three times and Steve Milliken tallied once for Harvard in a disappointing loss to a team the Crimson downed last year. 13-3.

Lack of depth on attack and defense has been Harvard's greatest problem. Nine of the 16 returning lettermen, including co-captains DiSesa and Bob Green. Play midfield.

John Hagerty, the second leading scorer last year, has moved up from midfield to attack, as coach Bruce Munro attempts to strengthen his offense. On defense, the Crimson has only one experienced player--senior Rob Barber.

The team also misses the skills of senior Eric Walsh and junior Charlie Kittredge, an all-Ivy pick last year. Walsh decided not to play lacrosse this season, while Kittredge is currently on a leave of absence.

Although he feels that the team improved on the trip. Munro expressed his disappointment with the attack's performance. "We're not going to win games if we don't score." he said.

"I expected the Rutgers and Navy games to go the way they did." Munro added. "Those teams are strong, and they had three or four games under their belt. The biggest disappointment was the Penn game."

Munro said that today's game against Williams should be an even match. Harvard and Williams lost to their one common opponent. Rutgers, by comparable scores, 12-3 and 9-2, last season Harvard destroyed Williams, 19-3.