Princeton Rally Downs Laxmen, 9-7

Crimson Fail in Bid for First Ivy Victory

Princeton's varsity lacrosse team stormed back from a 4-1 deficit last Saturday to defeat Harvard's Laxmen, 9-7.

Seeking its first Ivy League victory of the season, the Crimson began the game on the offensive, outscoring the Tigers, 4-1. in the opening quarter.

Co-captain Verdt DiSesa notched Harvard's first goal, firing a shot over the shoulder of goalie Bill Cronin at 4:55 of the opening period. Midfieldman Lance Anderson. Left Rosenberger, and co-captain Hob Green each scored once before the quarter ended.

In the next two periods Princeton rallied, tallying seven times, twice while a man up. Harvard went scoreless, and the Tigers took an 8-4 lead into the closing quarter.

The Crimson launched a comeback in the final period, as Steve Milliken, Steve Leahy, and DiSesa all notched goals. However, Princeton also tallied once to make the final score 9-7.

"When we got ahead, we thought we weren't as had as the record really showed." Crimson defenseman John Taliaferro said "We got overconfident and relaxed for the rest of the game, and when they went ahead, it brought all the old feelings of inferiority back upon us."

Throughout the season Harvard's attack and defense have lacked strength. In the Princeton game attackmen scored only two of the Crimson's seven goals, the rest coming from midfield players.

However, coach Bruce Munro said that Saturday's loss resulted not from weaknesses on attack and defense but from poor play at midfield, which has been Harvard's strongest position so far this season.

Midfield Weakness

"Our biggest weakness was in controlling the ball in the midfield," Munro said. "The midfield defense wasn't working at all."

Harvard currently holds a 1-4 record, with a win over Williams and losses to Rutgers, Navy, Penn and Princeton.

The Crimson laxmen play their next match this Wednesday at the University of Massachusetts, meeting a team they downed, 7-6, in overtime last spring.