Crimson Meets MIT Nine

Harvard Takes on Potent Cambridge Foe

By Peter A. Landry

Riding an impressive nine-game win streak Harvard's 14-1 baseball team takes on an unusually strong MIT squad today in a continuation of a long inter-city baseball rivalry.

Crimson coach Loyal Park chose Sandy Weissent, owner of a perfect 2-0 record to face The Engineers, whom Park calls 'the best MIT team in history," Weissent has yet to give up an earned run in his two outings. and earlier this season pitched a 7-0 no-hitter against Spring Arbor while the Crimson was on its Spring swing through the South.

Weissent will be opposed by MIT pitching ice Al Dropfel, one of the outstanding collegians in the country, Dropfel, "a bag strong kid who can really throw." according to a Park, is highly sought after by several major league teams.

"Dropfel has a great curve ball and good velocity." Park said yesterday. "In fact, there isn't much difference between his fast ball and curve in terms of actual velocity. He's one of ht best we'll face this year."

Park plans to start the name lineup against the Engineers that has been so successful throughout the season. Vinny McGugan will lead off and play second base, followed by right fielder Kevin Hampe. Toby Harvey will bat third with sophomore Larry Barbiaux hitting in the cleanup slot. Crimson captain Mike Thomas holds down the fifth spot in the order, followed by Hal Smith. Tim Bilodeau and Art Serrano. Weissent rounds out the order.

Beware

The Crimson must beware of looking past today's game to the important double header this weekend with Dartmouth. The Indians, a consistent Ivy title threat, will seriously challenge Harvard's strong early-season showing.

However, all of Park's scouting reports indicate that this is MIT's big year. For three seasons the Engineers have been building the "dream team" that coaches lie awake nights drooling over. Heightening the talent that MIT boasts, is the intangible incentive that any Harvard MIT contest is bound to have.

The Engineers are Cambridge's "poor relative" in most sports compared to the Crimson, and they relish any chance to work Harvard over.

That is not the case this season-at least as far as baseball is concerned--and the high flying Crimson had better not forget it. the Engineers have all the credentials to deal out. Just the anti-aircraft fire to shoot Harvard right out of the sky.

Strong Suit

But if MIT has a strong suit in the area of intangibles, the Crimson is well stacked there as well.

Park has repeatedly called this year's squad " a gritty bunch of guys who really hang tough" every time they take the field. Park is proud to point out that his present squad is getting "maximum performance out of all their abilities."

"We weren't supposed to win a lot of ball games this year." Park frankly admits, "but we've really put it all together. A lot of the credit has to go to (Crimson captain) Mike (Thomas). He's done a great job taking care of those important intangible elements."

Game time is at 3 p.m. this afternoon at MIT.