HSA Elects Seven Students To New Board of Directors

The Harvard Student Agencies last night voted five student directors to two year terms, after two earlier election attempts had failed.

Speaking before a group of about 35 members of HSA, most of the candidates stressed "image within the Harvard community" and "the problems of nepotism within HSA" as the most important issues facing HSA in the next two years.

"Any agency that deals with Harvard students is going to be regarded as a rip-off because that's the way students here look at any business," Jon E. Jenett '74, one of the newly-elected directors said last night. "The only way we can change that image is by radically improving our services," he added.

"Nepotism" or favoritism in job placement arises because the HSA is poorly publicized, Neil A. Dayton '72, another newly-elected director, said last night. He noted that if more students knew about HSA related jobs, there would be fewer people who applied solely because they had friends who were already working for HSA.

Two previous election attempts were cancelled, the first on March 14 because members said that they did not know enough about the candidates. The second on April 14 was cancelled when HSA failed to muster a quorum.

The seven students elected last night will serve on the Board of Directors along with seven members of the Harvard faculty and seven members of the greater Boston business community.

Michael J. Ryan '72, current HSA president said last night that the board of Directors will elect a new president from the seven new board members at the next board meeting, which will be held "sometime next week."