Room 13 Center Slates Talk Groups On Freshmen Problems at Harvard

By David F. White

Room 13, the student-run counseling service, plans to inaugurate discussion groups for freshmen next year. Co-director Laurie J. Oliver '72-3 explained the addition as an attempt to deal with the structural problems of life at Harvard and Radcliffe, as well as the personal problems of students with which the group has traditionally been involved.

"We want to get away from the definition of our service as solely a hotline or crisis center," she said.

At present Room 13 plans discussion groups involving only women freshmen, because of staffing problems. Oliver hopes, though, that males will be brought into the program if group leaders can be found.

Oliver said the emphasis of the groups would be in combatting the effects of decentralization at Harvard as it affects women. "I certainly feel there is a male bias not only in the population here, but also in the academic approach and lifestyle. There is a total de-emphasis on community. Women here are trying to build a community." Oliver said.

Since it was established in December of last year, Room 13 has been offering information on abortions, contraception, the draft and medical care.