music

LISTINGS

Harvard Cabaret presents the Harvard Jazz Band, 9-midnight in the infamous DUNSTER HOUSE DINING HALL. $.75, with "food, drink, talk."

Dunster House Music Society sponsors a performance of Brahms and Beethoventrios by Inge Engler, Sibill Belmont and Peter Belmont Nov. 5 at 3 p.m.

Lute solos and duets will be played by Desmond Dupre and Hopkinson Smith in MIT CHAPEL today, noon-1 p.m.

The department of Music and the From Music Foundation will present a concert by the Concord String Quarter Nov. 5, 8:30 p.m. in SANDERS THEATER. Works by George Rochberg and George Crumb will be performed.

AQUARIUS: Nov. 5: Procol Harum, Nov. 10: West, Bruce and Laing.

JOE'S PLACE: Oris Rush, Call 354-9385, MUSIC HALL: Nov. 3 and 4: Cut stevens Nov. 10 and 11: The Kinks.

Cat Stevens. Cat Stevens is David Cassidy with talent. He's cute. His songs are cute. Wellesley girls love him. The fusion of all three sells out the Music Hall for two nights and Don Law gets rich. Also...Ramblin' Jack Elliott, old folkie. Like Barry McGuire, Or Dave Van Ronk.

Precol Harum. Apparently "Whiter Shade of Pale" was one of the first rock and roll songs to lift knowingly from the classics, Bach (they tell me) in this case. Which led to the rock-classical fusions of Keith Emerson and Rick Wakeman. Meanwhile PH's Keith Reid wrote lyrics that predated, and occasionally surpassed the obscure inanities of King Crimson and Yes. And Procol Harum plays on, the grandaddy of the progressives.

West, Bruce and Laing. Leslie West played with Mountain, the loudest rock band in the business. What's the difference between Mountain and West, Bruce and Laing? Nothing. Because Felix Pappalardi played bass for Mountain. Jack Bruce taught Felix everything he knows about the bass. And nobody ever heard Steve Knight's keyboards anyway. No loss. I heard their album, it wasn't too good. But try 'em if your roommate just got some dynamite sopors.

Kinks. God Save the Kinks.

Otis Rush. Chicago blues guitar, and now that BB King sings with Strings, and Buddy Guy and Junior Wells are recording with the J. Geils Band, there is really no place to hear the real thing anymore. But Joe's Place keeps coming around with the finest Chicago blues available outside the South Side.