Martin H. Peretz Designated Master Of South House

Martin H. Peretz, assistant professor of Social Studies, was formally appointed yesterday as Master of South House. His wife, Anne L. Peretz, will act as Co-Master.

The Crimson reported that Peretz would be given the Mastership on June 7, before the appointment was officially disclosed. Yesterday the University announced that the Corporation and the Executive Committee of the Board of Overseers had ratified the appointment.

Peretz--who is acting chairman of the Social Studies Department--will replace retiring Radcliffe President Mary I. Bunting, the current Master of South House.

Peretz's title will be Master, while his wife's title will be Co-Master, unlike the situation in Currier House where both Ursula Goodenough Levine and Paul Levine hold the title Co-Master.

Peretz said last night that although he is not sure why he and his wife were given different titles, he thinks it is because his wife has no prior Corporation appointment.

He also said that his wife preferred her title to be Co-Master, and his to be Master.

The Peretzes will not live in South House but will remain in their present home on Larchwood Drive in Cambridge.

Peretz is a research fellow at the Institute of Politics, and a trustee of Franconia College, the Yivo Institute for Jewish Research, and the Signet Society. Anne Peretz is a painter whose works have been exhibited at the Aspects Gallery in New York City.