Summer Students Have Coed Living In Harvard Dorms

By Barbara A. Slavin

Contrary to the Harvard Summer School 1972 Regulations. Harvard's Summer students will be enjoying all the benefits of co-ed living.

Living arrangements will follow the normal co-ed pattern, despite the fact that Item No. 1 of the Regulations reads:

"No male may enter a woman's dormitory room, nor a female a men's dormitory room at any time or for any reason, unless accompanied by a resident thereof."

According to Marshall Cohen, dean of Students in Summer School, the confusing wording resulted from an attempt to enforce a "minimum parietal." Cohen said that last Summer's dean of residence hoped to discourage cohabitation by prohibiting friends of the opposite sex from hanging around their companion's rooms when no one was at home.

Cohen said that the present wording was an overnight on the part of the Summer School administration. He attributed the goof to the problem of eliminating "remnants of sexism" from outdated university manuals. Cohen said that Item No. 1 should read, "No Person" may enter another's dormitory room unless accompanied by the resident of that room.

"Form the administration's point of view, there would seem to be the unspoken expectation that co-ed living will go on as usual in the winter term." Teri Martin '73, assistant to the director for Summer Housing, said yesterday.

Harvard's 639 male and 637 female Summer Students have been proportionately distributed throughout the freshman dorms. Quincy House, the Radcliffe Graduate Center and several other graduate dorms.

In the Yard dorms, where two or more suites share a common bathroom, students have been segregated by floors; in Quincy House, where each suite is equipped with its own bath, men and women have been divided arbitrarily by suites.

There are a few exceptions, however, Male students have been placed in first-floor suites in the Yard dorms "for security reasons" according to Jay Newman, a third-year graduate student in Sociology and one of Holworthy's summer proctors. Marshall Cohen added that this measure was also intended to help reduce peeping-tomism, a perennial summer school problem.

Two law school dorms--Richards Hall and Perkins Hall--have been kept allmale to avoid unsetting winter residents remaining in their rooms this summer.

Students' reactions to the co-ed housing run from extremely pleased to non-commital