A PROPOSAL

The Mail

To the Editors of the Crimson:

I would like to have presented this idea at a more appropriate time--e.g., a strike meeting--but the idea only just came to me. It took working and eating with Europeans to impress upon me how loose Americans are with their food. Perhaps this idea might be at a good time, though. If it strikes enough people as worthwhile, it could be put into effect at registration. It concerns the Vietnamese and the support of Harvard students for their struggle.

In the People's Republic of China they set aside one meal a week--a simple meal--as a means of commemoration to recall the days before the Liberation. I am wondering if the Harvard dining facilities could be induced to set aside a lunch or evening meal for the same effect--e.g., serve rice, or a great bland dish that can be bought, prepared, and served cheaply. I should think some five cents per person could be saved in this way, although an administration budget juggler would probably call me naive. The money would be sent to the Indochinese through an appropriate organization, and the program would continue as long as America's war against Indochina continues. I should think that at least some 2000 students would be willing to resort to this form of protest, if it were made available to them for is U.S. News & World Report right?). This would mean about $1000 a week for the Indochinese. More important it could call attention to student opposition to American activities in Indochina--and hopefully set a precedent for other institutions.

I would foresee obstacles coming mainly from Harvard's right wing coterie. Perhaps one dining hall could be reserved for their tastes, and the rest serve rice, say on Friday night. If the Crimson or the Committee on Housing and Undergraduate Life could mobilize on this issue quickly and enthusiastically enough petition tables at registration and a student with a rubber stamp for dining hall tags should be able to take care of the implementation compare what has been done for getting the money for the Nader project.

Perhaps this idea has been presented and watched already If it hasn't, then I think it is worth pressing it my assumption there are as many students who feel as I do on this issue is correct. It gives one a convenient opportunity to hate the war criminals once a week and perhaps even do a little something about them Hell. I would probably even be willing to try it a couple, three times a week. From a gourmet's standpoint it would certainly be a dietary improvement. But Harvard is an individualistic community. It remains to be seen how many other individuals wish to try this. Steve Bachmann '72