Thinclads Enter CYO Contest; Team Faces Maine Saturday

By E.j. Dionne

Nine members of the Harvard track team travel to College Park, Maryland, tonight for the CYO Invitationals at the University of Maryland.

Meanwhile, back at the Bubble on Saturday, the whole track team will take on a weak University of Maine squad.

The CYO contest will feature many of the nation's top runners, including Olympic hurdlers Rod Milburne, Willie Davenport and Tom Hill.

The Crimson is sending down mile and two mile relay teams at well in hurdler Dewey Hickman. Hickman will be competing against a field of a dozen or dozen and a half top hurdlers in the country.

"In the two mile relay we're going to be running against the University of Nebraska. Georgetown, Villanova and Tennessee--four out of the top ten two mile--relay teams in the country," co-captain Bob Clayton said last night.

Besides Clayton, the two mile relay team will consist of Co-Capt. John Quirk. Bill Oakerman, and Jim Springate, Running in the mile relay will be Joel Peters, Randy Buckley. John Maggio and Nick Leone.

With the exception of Hickman, the nine runners going down to Maryland probably won't be competing against Maine, which should not give the team which beat Northeastern 74-44 too much trouble. However, they'll be warmed up and standing by in case the Black Bears run stronger than expected.

"They are not strong," McCurdy said yesterday. "It's not a team like B.C. or Northeastern. They are undefeated, but the toughest team they've faced so far is B.U." Harvard beat B.U., 89-29.

"The coach has switched up events," said Clayton. "Two milers will be running the mile. John Quirk will be running the 600. It's sort of an attempt to give the meet some flavor, make it more interesting.

"Of course," he added, "they could-surprise us, which is why all will be ready to run if we're needed."