Radcliffe Squash Team Wins Opener Of Its Initial Intercollegiate Season

Radcliffe College, entering the ranks of intercollegiate squash for the first time, defeated St. Paul's School 4 to 1 Saturday afternoon at Hemenway Gymnasium.

The 'Cliffe's historic debut also marked the first women's intercollegiate squash match ever played at Hemenway.

The response to the new intercollegiate team was encouraging, with 22 girls trying out for five varsity and five junior varsity positions.

The strong turnout has allowed a "B" and "C" team to play in the Massachusetts State Evening League, an interclub schedule.

The captain of the varsity squad is Lee Howard, who plays number one. The other members of the team are Claire Stuart, Pris Poole, Lorraine Uhlaner, and Ruth Stevens.

With one victory under its belt, the team is now looking forward to the Howe Cup Tournament at Yale University to be held January 26 through 28.

The tournament is one of the most prestigious in the country, with a field composed of Princeton, Yale, Penn, Vassar, Wellesley, Trinity (Pa.), and Trinity (Conn.).

The team has shown great enthusiasm and is gaining valuable tournament experience in the Massachusetts interclub games, Howard said. "We should be a strong contender among colleges this year," she added.

In addition to the Howe Cup, the National Women's Singles Tournament will be held at Hemenway Gymnasium February 23 through 25 and the national intercollegiate championships will be held at Wesleyan College March 2 through 4.

The junior varsity squad is composed of Sally Lee, Sue Handy, Marian Childs, Jenny Whitman, and Liz Durfee. They also see action in ten-women varsity matches and provide the 'Cliffe with the depth needed to compete in tournament play.

The next intercollegiate match is tentatively scheduled for February 3, when Radcliffe will play Exeter at Hemenway Gymnasium.