Exchange Program

He said that black students today face similar problems becoming leaders in the eyes of the common black man.

Evans said that even if black students are now concerned with the black community, they "cannot empathize with it because the vast majority of these students have never lived in a ghetto or on a tenant farm.

Because of this indirect contact with the day-to-day existence of the common black people of this country unconsciously. Harvard blacks tend to romanticize this struggle and to few in from an intellectual perspective," Evans said.

He added that such students are out of touch with the masses precisely because of the unrealities of Harvard--or any college for that matter.

Evans said that blacks at Harvard "consider irrelevant or trivial" a number of features of life here that "Students at black colleges would cherrish." He cited "instant credit in a major emporium, one of the best libraries in the world, no parietal rules, free seconds in the dining halls, free psychiatric care, the ability to borrow $300 on his signature, and average pay of $2.50 per hour for student employment.

To create an appreciation for these resources. Evans suggested that Harvard "expose these students to the many constraints endured daily by the hundreds of thousands on the black college campuses."

Evans concluded by saying that "Harvard as it is presently structured is incapable of developing the sense of immediately among is black students" to solve the problems of the next couple of decades and needs the assistance of an exchange program.

Kiely said yesterday that he considered the matter still in the exploratory stage. He added that he had written to schools which presently operate an exchange to ask them how their programs operate.

Dean Whitlock said Friday that he considered the proposal "a splendid idea." He added that it has both explored "as long as I have been at Harvard."

Whitlerk explained that the only way be implement such a proposal would be by vote of the faculty, because such and exchange would involve academic credit.

Walter Leonard, special assistant to the President, said Friday that she proposed exchange raises a number of difficult questions. "First we have to decide whatever our students are interested and what they think they might get out if," he said.

"We also will have to determine who would pay for such a program, the participating schools or the students. Further we would have to decide whether academic credit will be involved and how much," Leonard said.

He concluded that he could offer no opinion on the proposal until these questions were answered.

Dean Epps said Friday night that he had gone to a black college and felt that the resources here were for superior to any he saw when he was in school. Epps said that he opposed the proposal.