The First Annual Crimson Sports Quizzer

By M. DEACON Dake and William E. Stedman jr.

This test has been devised here at the Crime Sports Cube in an effort to keep our readers up on important sporting facts and figures and to keep their minds really sharp for upcoming exams. The answers to these and other fascinating questions will appear on page 4. Score one point for each correct answer.

HOCKEY

1. Who played on the Boston Bruins "Dynamite Line" with Cooney Weiland (photo left) during the thirties?

2. Following Weiland's career as coach of the Bruins, he coached two American Hockey League clubs before coming to Harvard, name them.

3. Which two Harvard forwards have had the distinction of being named All-Ivy three years in a row?

4. What was the "Curse of Muldoon" and when was it broken?

5. Name the only NHL player on record to have played every position, including goal. What NHL player played every position except goal?

6. Who holds the Harvard season and career records for most goals by a defenseman? What years did he play for the Crimson?

7. Who holds the NHL record for most career penalty minutes? How many minutes did he rack up?

8. Who played on the "Scooter Line" during the sixties?

9. Name the former NHL goaltender that is now minding the nets for the Los Angeles Sharks of the World Hockey Association.

10. What is Boom Boom Geoffrion's real first name? How did he get his nickname?

11. Who were the Miami Screaming Eagles? Where and under what name are they now?

12. When did the Harvard hockey team win its last Ivy League championship? What teams have won it since?

13. From what sport did the term "hat trick" originate? What was its original meaning?

14. How many Toronto Maple Leafs have won the Art Ross trophy? Can you name them?

BASKETBALL

1. When Elvin Hayes and the Houston Cougars beat UCLA in the Astrodome, who played center for Houston this name sounds rather countryish)? Who were the Cougars' two guards? What was the hit song performed at halftime by the semi-rock group the Techniques?

2. Still speaking of centers and UCLA losses, when the Bruins last lost some 60 games ago in South Bend to the fightin' Irish, Tom Sinnott and Austin Carr were the guards while Sid Catlett and T. Collis Jones were in the corners, but who was N.D.'s starting center? Who was the coach of the Irish? What was the starting lineup that fateful night for Wooden when he returned to the town of his first teaching and coaching job (South Bend Central)?

3. In the last ten years only one school has come out of the Western Regional of the NCAA Tournament besides UCLA, what was the year? What was the lucky team? Who was its star? Who beat who in the finals that year? And who was the final game's MVP?

4. In 1963, in a historic upset, who upended who in the finals at Louisville? What was the starting five for the winners? The losers that year were shooting for three straight national titles. In 1961 this team crumped what Big Ten team by 20 points for the championship? What was the victorious team's nickname and who was the black bespectacled center who undressed a new Knickerbocker star in the finals?

5. Who was the last Dartmouth player to make it in the pros?

6. When Dave DeBuschere was hurling baseballs and bombing basketballs as a senior for the University of Detroit Titans, what sophomore guarded the Knick great during a regular season game and later went on to follow Dave's dual sport life, but unlike Dave chose the diamonds rather than the hard-court? (Hint: now a big league pitcher for a team with a sourthern exposure.)

FOOTBALL

1. What University is credited with the origin of modern football in the United States?

2. How many yards rushing did Viking Ed Marinaro (photo bottom right) rack up while playing for Cornell (within 10 yards.)?

3. What is Crazy Legs Hirsch's real first name? What two reception records does he share?

4. Where were the Redskins before they moved to Washington? What was their name then?

5. How many seasons did Sammy Baugh lead the league in passing? How many seasons did he lead the league in punting?

6. How many pro QBs can you name the played college ball for Alabama?

BASEBALL

1. For what organization is former Harvard baseball star Pete Varney now playing? What farm club is he with?

2. Who is Juan Beniquez? What dubious record does he share?

3. What pitcher holds the record for most strikeouts in World Series competition? What other strikeout records does he hold?

4. 1967 was the year of the "Impossible Dream" for the Boston Red Sox, led by MVP Cast Yazstremski (photo bottom right). What was Yaz's batting average that year? How many homers did he hit and how many runs did he knock in?

5. 'What is Yogi Berra's real name? How many times was he voted MVP by the Baseball Writers Association?

6. What player holds the career record for stolen bases? Who holds the record for a single reason?

7. What Cleveland Indian caught a baseball dropped from an airship 800 feet above him?

8. Where were the Brewers before they moved to Milwaukee? What was their name?

MISCELLANEOUS

1. Who are the only two boxers to retire undefeated champions? During what years did they hold their respective crowns?

2. Who was the first "rookie" driver to finish in last year's Indy 500? Who set a lap record during the race?

3. Who is the only man to win the individual curling title five times? Where is he from?

4. How many times did golfer Bobby Jones win the United States Open? How many times did he capture the U.S. Amateur championship?

5. Who holds the world long jump record? When was it set?

6. What record does Randy Matson hold? What about Bob Seagren? What country has won the most Olympic water polo tournaments? When was the last time they won it?

8. Who won the Olympic gold medal in men's archery competition last summer? Who won the woman's competition?