Sixteen Members Of Faculty Council Condemn Bombing

By Robert Decherd

Sixteen members of the Faculty Council yesterday joined the resurgent opposition to American involvement in Indochina by endorsing a strong statement condemning the renewed bombing of North Vietnam.

The action is the first protest by a Faculty group since President Nixon ordered new raids deep into North Vietnam on December 18.

The three-paragraph statement calls on Congress "to condemn this recent barbarism and to prevent its recurrence by voting now to end the funding of the Indochina War."

James C. Thomson Jr., lecturer on History, and H. Stuart Hughes, Gurney Professor of History, circulated the statement prior to yesterday's regularly scheduled meeting of the Faculty Council. Since the Council takes positions only on matters related directly to Harvard, it did not discuss the statement or vote on it as a body.

Revision

The signatories, who represent almost three quarters the 21-member Council, expressed "shock and revulsion at the 12 days of terror bombing inflicted by our nation on North Vietnam."

The statement continues "No American states or prospects in Indochina can justify this report to unbridled savagery. It has gravely undermined the humane values upon which both the nation and its universities were founded.

Thomson described yesterday statement as a "primer for other expressions of opposition by various groups of individual here at Harvard and throughout the nation.

The Faculty Council was the first Faculty group to be meeting at Harvard since the bombing began again prior to Christmas vacation, and we thought it was important that members of the Council take a strong position against the reversion to wide spread bombing," he said.

Thomson said that copies of the statement would be forwarded to various Congressmen by individual members of the Council These Congressmen include Massachusetts Senators Edward M Kennedy '54 and Edward Brooke, Rep Thomas P. O'Neill (D.-Mass), the newly elected House Majority Leader, and House Speaker Carl Albert (D.-Okla.).

Senate Democrats yesterday signaled an informal January 20 deadline for ending the Vietnam War. After that date, they indicated that the Senate would seek to cut off funding for U.S. operations there [See following story,].

On Tuesday, the House Democratic Caucus passed an end-the-war resolution by a two-to-one margin, and also threatened an immediate cutoff of American funding to Indochina contingent on the release of U.S. prisoners of war.

Thomson said that he and Hughes sought to bolster the end-the-war resolutions by circulating yesterday's statement.

The other signers of the statement are: James S. Ackerman, professor of Fine Arts; Paul G. Bamberg Jr., associate professor of Physics; Herbert Bloch, professor of Greek and Latin; Harvey Brooks, McKay Professor of Applied Physics; George F. Carrier, Coolidge Professor of Applied Mathematics; Dante Della Terza, professor of Romance Languages and Literature; Doris H. Kearns, associate professor of Government; Robert J. Kiely, professor of English; Regina M. Kyle, assistant professor of English; John R. Maynard, assistant professor of English; Ezra F. Vogel, professor of Sociology; Michael L. Walzer, professor of Government; and Samuel H. Beer, Eaton Professor of the Science of Government.

The five members who were either absent yesterday or did not sign the statement are: Dean Dunlop; James F. Hays, professor of Geology; William N. Lipscomb Jr., Lawrence Professor of Chemistry Norman F. Ramsey, Higgins Professor of Physics; and, Isadore Twersky, Littauer Professor of Hebrew Language and Philosophy