Huskies Blast Radcliffe Hockey Squad

Radcliffe's field hockey team put up a good fight yesterday, but when it was all over, the powerful Northeastern squad came off the field with a lopsided 6-1 victory.

The Huskies dominated the play almost throughout the game, with a strong squad playing in their sixth game of the season. It was really over for Radcliffe at the half, as they trailed 2-0 . "But they didn't give up," O'Conner insisted.

It was Northeastern's forwards Beuchamp and Martin who opened the scoring in the first half, blasting shorts past the beleaguered Radcliffe goalie Barbie Matson. Matson had a busy first half, turning aside nearly 30 shots.

The roof fell in on Matson in the second half, as the Huskies added four more tallies and Radcliffe managed only one. Northeastern never let up, pressing the tired Radcliffe squad.

Maude Wood made the lone score for the "Cliffe. Wood, playing in her first game of the season, was on the team last year, but commitments to tennis and crew this fall forced her to start late this season. O'Connor is pleased that she made it out for the team again. "We really need her punch on the forward line," she said.

The game went for nearly an hour with little time out, as they played two 30 minute periods with only a five-minute break in between. "We're not in the best condition," O'Connor pointed out, "and the longer periods took a lot out of us."

The coach commented about the make-up of the Northeastern squad, "they have a lot of physical education majors on the team who have been playing since September."

O'Connor, however, didn't want to make any excuses for the loss. In a similar situation a year ago, the game turned out 3-2 in favor of Radcliffe. "Northeastern said they hadn't gotten their team together last year, just as we haven't got ours this together this year. We're not working well as a team."

Lineup Switched

The lineup has been switched around since the opener, as O'Con nor has tried to find the best combination. Yesterday's team had a front line of Kathy A goos, Maude Wood, Cha Nantang and Laury Johnson who substituted for the injured Kathy Lindsay. Diana Finch, Nancy Sato and Jan Weller started as halfbacks with Paula Balboni and Liz Gorden backing them up in the fullback slots. Bar by Matson is firmly entrenched in the goalie position.