Oakland Defeats Mets in 11th

The Oakland Athletics pulled out the third game of the World Series last night as Bert Campaniles's eleventh-inning single drove in Ted Kubiak for a 3-2 win over the Mets.

It looked as though Mets starter Tom Seaver would breeze through the nine innings as the Mets staked him to a 2-0 lead in the first inning. Wayne Garret led off with a home run against A's starter Catfish Hunter. Felix Millan followed with a single and Rusty Staub drove him in with a sharp blast to left.

Seaver Lifted

But Oakland got to Seaver, who had 12 strikeouts in eight innings, in the sixth as back-to-back doubles by Sal Bando and Gene Tenace closed the gap to 2-1 Seaver was lifted in the Mets eighth for a pinch hitter, after the A's had tied the score Campanaris singled and stole second. Joe Rudi delivered the game tying single with none out, but Seaver got out of further trouble.

Ray Sedecki came on to pitch for the Mets in the ninth, but was relieved by Tug McGraw as the A's threatened with two men on base. McGraw lasted to the tenth, when he too was lifted by Berra for a pinch hitter.

It was left to Harry Parker to give up the winning hit to Campaniles's in the eleventh.