Students Control Bangkok As Civilians Gain Power

By Robin Freedberg

Bangkok was calm yesterday as Thailand's new premier named a civilian-dominated cabinet to replace the military regime overthrown by a student revolt this week.

The capital of the United States' closest ally in Southeast Asia remained under student control after two days of riots and street fighting between Thai troops and tens of thousands of students.

The formerly ubiquitous Thai police were absent on Bangkok's streets yesterday as students began to clear the debris that accumulated during the two days of sometimes violent demonstrations in which more than 200 were killed.

The cabinet ministers were named by Premier Sanya Thammasek--who was rector of the Thamasat University, where the revolt originated, until the Thai king named him to replace a military leadership Sunday--in consultation with student leaders.

Students praised the new civilian government yesterday and promised to work closely with it. The new premier is widely regarded as a king's man, and it is likely that the changeover will restore greater influence of the king in government affairs.

King Bhumibel Adulyadej apparently persuaded the old regime's leaders to leave the country and warned them that they would turn Bangkok into a slaughterhouse if they brought additional troops to the capital to crush the revolt.

Close U.S. Relations

Thailand's newly appointed foreign minister indicated yesterday that there would be no change in his country's foreign policy and that the nation's close ties with the United States would continue.

The State Department said yesterday that no Americans were involved "in any way whatsoever" in the Thai coup. A department spokesman said that the overwhelming majority of the demonstrators were students and that there is "no evidence" to support the theory that the students were merely a facade for other groups.

The spokesman, C.L. Stermer, said that it would be "premature to attach a political identity" to the revolt. He said that there has been growing "criticism in the Thai community against its military" and that the students desired a return to what he called parliamentary democracy."

Stermer said that the speeches of student leaders in no way indicated that the revolt implied opposition to American military presence in Thailand, as some observers speculated.

More than 38,000 American servicemen are stationed at six air bases in Thailand.