'Cliffe Sailers Face Stiff Competition

B.U. Will Be a Threat in Weekend Regattas

By William E. Stedman jr.

The Radcliffe sailing team will worry about Boston University this weekend. The frustrated Terrier squad lost to Radcliffe by a single point last Sunday, the second time in a week B.U. has been beaten by a point. They will be out to get Radcliffe in Saturday's Captains Cup regatta at Jackson and Sunday's Presidents Trophy race at B.U.

Last Sunday's Radcliffe Fall Regatta saw the 'Cliffe team cruise into the final race with a comfortable 18-point margin over the Terriers. All that A-division skipper Kathy Angell and B-division skipper Marie Roehm had to do was go out and sail a conservative race.

The Terriers, however, wouldn't roll over and play dead. As the winds died and became erratic, B.U. coasted to firsts in both divisions while Angell and Roehm were having their problems. Roehm had to scramble from last place on the final leg to get a sixth, just enough to complement Angell's sixth-place finish and preserve the win.

It was the first time since 1968 that Radcliffe had won its own fall regatta. Coach Mike Horn was pleased with the overall performance by Angell and her alternating crews Anne Johnson and Pam Mack, as well as that of Roehm and Sarah Herrick who co-skippered in the B-division. He had to admit, however, that things looked "pretty grim" for a while in the final race.

In this Saturday's regatta on the Mystic lakes, Radcliffe will face a stiff test from both MIT and the Jackson, the home team. "On the basis of having practiced in the lakes," Horn said, referring to the class of boat sailed for the Captain's Cup, "I'd say that they have a slight advantage."

The Harvard squad will have an equally tough time of it this weekend as they sail in two New England championships at MIT and Coast Guard. Clem Wood, Terry Neff, Chris Middendorf and Tim Black will represent Harvard on the Charles, while Chris Hornig, Ogden Ross and Rick White will sail in the two-day New London event. Both events will be run on a team racing format, with each school sailing only one opponent at a time.