Terriers Down Radcliffe In Bizarre Sailing Meet

By William E. Stedman jr.

Last Sunday was a frustrating day for the Radcliffe sailing team, and a rather bizarre one for A division skipper Kathy Angell. Radcliffe lost to Boston University on the basis of a tie breaker, and Angell was literally hauled out of her boat in the middle of a race.

B.U. was tied in overall points at the end of the regatta with Radcliffe, 17-17, but was awarded the victory on the basis of having beaten the 'Cliffe more times.

Capsize

B division skipper Marie Roehm finished second overall, while Angell won her division despite her accident that resulted in a capsize. It occured as MIT, Radcliffe and Jackson were approaching a mark, catching Angell in the middle.

The MIT boat had to give room to Angell to allow her to round the mark, and she in turn had to make way for the Jackson dinghy on the other side. "They [MIT] wouldn't move over," Angell recalled, "and the three of us squeezed together and collided."

"The Jackson boat's boom swung over my head," she continued. "As they tried to move away, the mainsheet caught around my neck and pulled me right out of the boat. My crew thought I was being strangled, so she tried to heel the boat over and we capsized."

It didn't turn out so badly, however, as a protest after the race resulted in Angell being awarded first place on a complicated system of breakdown points. "It was better than I probably would have done anyway," Angell said.

It was equally frustrating for the Harvard sailors, as they had a disappointing weekend of team racing against MIT and Coast Guard.

At MIT, 12 colleges participated in the regatta Saturday, which was a series of qualification races for Sunday's finals. Crimson skippers Terry Neff, Chris Middendorf, Tim Black and Chris Wood did not make the cuts.

Ogden Ross, Rick White and Chris Hornig made it to the finals at Coast Guard, but could only finish second behind Brown.