PBH Sponsors Credit Courses Related to Volunteer Program

By R.w. Palmer

Phillips Brooks House is currently sponsoring two credit courses related to its volunteer program.

Steven D. London, recently appointed education advisor at PBH, said the courses are supposed to revolve around the volunteer work program, and are intended to improve the field work.

This semester PBH is offering courses affiliated with the Teachers Aide and Easy Reader programs, London said. He said both are related to volunteer work experiences in Cambridge schools.

The courses presently being offered will continue next semester, and courses related to the Harvard Africa Volunteer Program and the Prisons Committee will be added. Jonathan D. Quick '73-74, executive vice president of PBH, said yesterday.

PBH had originally wanted to list one as a General Education course, but is presently arranging Independent Work credit for the two classes, London said.

Question of Status

Quick said yesterday that PBH last spring presented Robert J. Kiely, associate dean of the Faculty, with the suggestion that PBH's Teacher Aide course be granted General Education status.

Kiely supported the suggestion, Quick said, but arrangements were not made quickly enough this fall to present PBH's request to the General Education Committee. Quick said that Kiely is "enthusiastic about" General Education support for PBH courses and is interested in developing a field work section of General Education.

London said Kiely is "solidly behind" PBH's efforts and will try to secure General Education status for the Teacher Aide course this spring.

Kiely is presently trying to secure funds for this semester's courses, Quick said. He said Kiely had originally asked President Bok to support the courses from a special innovation in education fund, but that Bok did not feel PBH's courses fell within the realm of the special fund.

Quick said courses were offered by PBH as early as 1968, but that the organization has just begun to push for General Education recognition. He said that this effort is closely tied to the appointment of the new education advisor who will provide contact with the Faculty and continuity for PBH's education program.

Quick said that members of PBH are divided on the question of whether credit should be granted for program related courses. Some people feel students will be attracted primarily by the idea that course credit will be given, and will consider the volunteer program as secondary, he said