Freshmen Gridders Beat Tigers, 15-14

The Harvard freshman football team, totally frustrated through three quarters, put together two fourth quarter scoring drives and nipped Princeton's Tigers, 15-14, in an exciting Saturday morning game. The win upped the yardlings' record to 3-1.

Facing a stiff wind which gusted across the field throughout the game, the Crimson offense was unable to get untracked in the first half. Princeton, on the other hand, started in highly impressive fashion.

Taking the opening kickoff at their own 20 yard-line, the Tigers ran the quarterback option play to perfection and marched 80 yards to a touchdown and a 6-0 lead. The score aroused the Crimson defense, however, and they stifled the potent Princeton offense over the rest of the first half.

Unpleasant Memories

The start of the second half brought back unpleasant memories, as the Tigers again scored the first time they had their hands on the ball. A successful two point conversion after the touchdown appeared to put Princeton in command.

But the start of the fourth quarter brought a marked change of fortune for the Crimson frosh. They had the wind at their backs for the first time since the opening quarter, and Harvard Coach Chet O'Neill changed the offensive strategy.

Instead of the usual power I formation, an offense which relies on delayed blocking techniques, the Crimson switched to quick-hitting, straight-ahead plays which allowed hard-running fullback Tom Lincoln to eat up large chunks of yardage.

A 35-yard aerial from quarterback Steve O'Brien to tight end Bob McDermott capped a 70-yard drive and put the freshmen within striking distance. McDermott broke two tackles before rambling in with the key score.

After the defense forced a Tiger punt, Harvard's offense continued to roll. They moved to the Princeton 20-yard line where Tom Lincoln blasted up the middle and scored the touchdown which put the Yardlings within one point.

With only three minutes left in the ballgame, Coach O'Neill elected to go for two points and the victory. Quarterback O'Brien ran an option play around end, keeping the ball himself and punching over the winning points.

"The momentum just turned around in that fourth quarter," O'Neill said yesterday. "There was really no decision on the last conversion play. We had to go for the victory. We played so much better than against Dartmouth (a 33-6 loss). And this Princeton team was the toughest we've faced all year."