Freshman Football, Soccer Teams Face Yale; Gridders Vie for Fifth Win, Big Three Trophy

By Dennis P. Corbett

At 1:30 this afternoon, the Harvard freshman football and soccer teams will meet Yale's Bulldog Pups in New Haven. Neither Crimson team should lack incentive.

The freshmen gridders will be trying to retain the Big Three trophy, wrested last year from Yale. Since both Yale and Harvard have already defeated Princeton this season, tomorrow's winner will claim the cup.

A win by the freshmen tomorrow would also insure the best record by a Harvard freshman team since 1964. They are presently 4-1, and have put together impressive back-to-back wins over Princeton and Brown after a discouraging loss to Dartmouth.

Serious Threat

The Yale frosh, however, should pose a serious threat. Boasting a 3-1-1 record, the Pups lost by the narrowest of margins to Brown, 15-14, early the season, and have tied a Dartmouth team which throttled the Crimson, 33-6.

The Yale attack hinges on the quarterbacking talents of Brian Book and the receiving abilities of split end Renny Tyson. Linebacker Pete Bonacum has been the most consistent performer on the Eli defense.

The Crimson will counter with elusive running back Tommy Winn who piled up 133 yards rushing in last week's victory over Brown. Rover back Bill Emper, who has emerged as the stopper in the Harvard defense, will be heavily counted on to stifle Yale's potent attack.

Freshman Soccer

The freshman soccer team needs a victory tomorrow to insure a winning season. They carry a 4-4 record into the contest, and will be trying to rebound from three consecutive losses. Last week they were dumped by an exceptionally strong Brown squad, 2-0.

The Yale freshmen are suffering through a mediocre season. Their 4-4-2 record includes a 5-1 victory over Columbia and a loss to Princeton last week. Halfback John Taft and forward Steve Edelson have been the mainstays of the Eli attack all year.

The job of bottling up this Yale duo will fall to reliable Crimson defensive backs Aris Yannopoulos, Chris Saunders and Kevin Jiggets. Bob Grant, who hounded Brown's high-scoring fred Pereira last week, should also play a key defensive role.

Mark Zimering, who leads the freshmen with eight goals, will be expected to supply the offensive punch for the Crimson. He will rely on the passing of winger Hans Birle and team captain Lyman Bullard. Peter Dugerian, coming off a superlative performance against Brown, will tend goal.

Diehard Crimson football fans should note that the junior varsity football game, originally scheduled for Friday at 2 p.m., has been cancelled. Yale could not come up with enough players.