City Holiday Lights Shine On Despite Energy Considerations

Lights on some Christmas decorations in Harvard Square were on yesterday, despite President Nixon's request that no outdoor holiday lights be used this year.

Cambridge City Manager John H. Corcoran said the Harvard Square Businessmen's Association (HSBA) is responsible for the installation and operation of the decorations.

Members of the HSBA could not be reached for comment. When asked if he knew whether any of the lights were on, Corcoran said, "I don't believe they are. The city only subsidizes the Harvard and Central Square decorations modestly, and of course they must be used in accordance with energy requirements."

Nevertheless, seven of the 37 lamppost decorations in the area of the Square blinked yellow and green yesterday, all of them on Massachusetts Avenue. Lights in less traveled places such as Dunster and Church Streets were not on.

Corcoran said no official post exists for the control of Cambridge energy consumption generally, although the city's purchasing agent now coordinates the use of fuel oil and gasoline.

Unplugged

Central Square Businessmen's Association member Paul M. Corcoran Jr. said the lights on decorations in Central Square were never plugged in this year, although they were put up before the President banned outdoor Christmas lights.

Merchants in both areas have agreed to turn off store and window display lights at closing time rather than leaving them on through the evening, Corcoran said.