Anti-Nixon 'Oil Party' Protest Planned for Sunday Afternoon

The People's Bicentennial Action Center (PBAC) expects thousands to turn out tomorrow afternoon for the 1973 Boston Oil Party.

Protesters will gather at Faneuil Hall at noon for a town meeting where speakers will demand that President Nixon be impeached and that the oil companies pay for the energy crisis.

The group will then march to the Congress St. Bridge along the same route that the Sons of Liberty followed 200 years ago.

Demonstrators will board the brig Beaver II at the Congress St. docks, at 1:30 p.m. where effigies of President Nixon and oil company executives will be tarred and feathered, and burned.

Plans have also been made for some demonstrators to board the Beaver II from boats and dump empty oil cans into Boston Harbor to protest the oil shortage.

"This is the first protest against the oil companies," Jeremy Rifkin, a staff member for the PBAC, said yesterday. "The Oil Party will be covered by the national media, and for this reason, we urge everyone to turn out, no matter what the weather is like. We need winter soldiers, not just sunshine patriots."

The PBAC demonstrations will coincide with the re-enactment of the Boston Tea Party by Boston 200, the city's official bicentennial organization.

According to Rifkin, the main purpose of the Oil Party and the other events being sponsored by the PBAC is "to revive the revolutionary principles of 1776 and apply those to promote radical political change."