Racquetmen Smash Hapless Army, 9-0

By William E. Stedman jr.

Even without number three man Arch Gwathmey, number six man Bill Kaplan and number seven man Peter Havens, the Crimson squash team shut out yet another opponent this season. The raquetmen pummeled Army Saturday, 9-0, at West Point.

Though Army turned out to be much weaker than expected, the win was still a satisfying one to coach Jack Barnaby. "It showed that we have great depth and spirit," he said yesterday.

With three of the top nine players unable to make the match, Barnaby had to "dig into the barrel," as he described it yesterday, for Steve Mead and Tim Morgan, both of whom had little trouble in dispatching their opponents.

"We may have had to dig into the barrel," Barnaby said, "but we didn't come up with chaff, we came with wheat." Mead, who has been having problems with injuries this season, moved into the number seven spot, while Morgan played at number nine.

Barnaby pushed Dick Cashin up from the fourth spot to the third and Jeff Weigard up to number four. Fred Fisher played at five, Jim McDonald at six and Cass Sunstein at eight. Howland Murphy made the trip as the tenth man.

Army had the early advantage as Harvard had the usual trouble of getting used to the new courts, but that was all the advantage the Cadets were to muster. The Crimson machine got rolling after a short while and won the match going away.

"Once Glenn found his touch, he totally outclassed Armstrong (Army's top man), Barnaby said. "Armstrong was no easy touch, but Glenn made it look easy at the end. He got rolling like an avalanche."

That avalanche continued to crush Army all the way through to the number nine Cadet. But as Barnaby politely put it, "We had a little edge in what you might call sophistication."