Crimson Staves Off Big Green

Hoopsters Edge Dartmouth for First Ivy Win; Jenkins Sinks Free Throw After the Buzzer

By Jefferson M. Flanders, Special to The Crimson

HANOVER, N.H.--Captain Tony Jenkins's free-throw after time had run out gave the Harvard basketball team a 65-64 win over Dartmouth last night in the Alumni Gym.

With the score tied and seconds remaining on the clock, Dartmouth's Jim Beattie called an illegal time-out after grabbing a rebound under his own basket. Jenkins converted the technical that gave Harvard its first win of the season.

Dartmouth excited the estimated 1000 spectators and roared back from a 10-point deficit late in the second-half behind sophomore Adam Sutton and senior captain Bill Raynor. Raynor hit two twenty-foot jump shots in the last minute to tie the score at 64-64.

Raynor's tying shot came with 21 seconds left. Harvard managed one poor last-ditch corner shot by Arnie Needleman and Beattie grabbed the rebound and called the fatal time-out.

"Hey, we'll take them any way we can get them," Harvard head coach Tom (Satch) Sanders, said after the game. The win was Sanders' first at Harvard and raised the Crimson record to 1-1 overall and 1-0 in the Ivy League. Dartmouth's record dropped to 0-2 with the loss.

Silver Leads the Way

Lou Silver, a junior forward for Harvard, led the team with 24 points and 11 rebounds. Jenkins scored 18 points and notched 15 rebounds. Senior Ken Wolfe finished with 13 points.

Sutton, a 6 ft. 5 in. jumping jack forward, scored 25 points to lead the Big Green and give Jenkins defensive headaches all night. Mark Donoghue and Raynor followed with 12 and 10 points respectively.

Harvard led by 10 points most of the way but at the end of both the first and second halves. Dartmouth made last-minute surges.

"We didn't play our game," Sanders said. He attributed the Crimson's inability to hold its lead to bad shot selection.

Harvard spurted to an early lead behind Silver and Jenkins. Silver dropped in two medium-range jump shots and added a tap-in, and Jenkins scored three baskets as Harvard ran off to a 24-12 lead in the first ten minutes.