J.V. Mermen Lose To Andover, 50-45

By Charles B. Straus

The Harvard freshman and varsity B swimming team lost its sixth straight meet of the season Wednesday as it dropped a 50-45 decision to the Andover varsity at the IAB.

The Crimson did, however, have some bright spots in the gloom of the defeat. Freshman Tom Wolf, the Harvard varsity record-holder in the 200-yd. backstroke, won the 100-yd. backstroke in 54.5 seconds to equal the Harvard freshman record.

Freshman Jim Smith took the 100-yd. breaststroke in 1:04.0, a time which qualifies him for the Eastern Seaboard Swimming Championships at Army in early March.

Diver John Zakotnick piled up his highest point total of the year in the 1-meter dive with a 259.30 performance. But, in a season in which at least 15 junior varsity swimmers have quite the team, the strong performances of freshman dropping down from the varsity were not enough for a win.

"We are in a situation where we can't win," head coach Don Gambril said yesterday. "We only have 20 guys on the whole squad, so we have to move some people down to give those high school teams some competition."

The recent rule changes in college athletics, the most significant being the eligibility of freshman for varsity-level sports, have virtually destroyed the practicality of a freshman team. As a result, less-gifted athletes have been shunted off into dead-end underfunded, and unfortunately, uncompetitive J.V. programs.