HSA Selects New General Manager

Plans Policy Changes

The Board of Directors of the Harvard Student Agencies (HSA) yesterday announced the appointment of Bradlee T. Howe '63, as General Manager, succeeding Andrew Nelson who, the board said, resigned because of poor health.

Arthur Segel '73, president of HSA, said that Howe, currently director of the Student Employment Office and associate director of Admissions, will more closely ally HSA to the Harvard Administration.

"I think that my administrative positions and experiences will be beneficial to HSA because of the contacts I have," Howe said last night.

He added that he does not see more University control of HSA in the future.

Useful Experience

Howe said that his Admissions position would allow him to search out managerial talent for the various agencies.

"There are any number of ways to locate good prospects. For instance, I know of one candidate this year who started a laundry service at his prep school so the kids wouldn't get ripped off; he's a prospect," he said.

Howe said that he plans on hiring according to merit instead of financial need in managerial positions but added that he was sure he could find more than enough qualified scholarship students.

"I just can't imagine any moment when all, or even most, agency managers would not be students with need. I just won't shut out eager people who have talent and no need," he said.

Loss of Teamwork

HSA is presently suffering, said Howe, from a loss of teamwork and spirit due to fragmentation within the organization and different agencies pulling in different directions.

HSA has concentrated on labor-intensive employment in the past, starting agencies which can employ the maximum amount of students.

Howe said he plans to continue this policy and to increase the amount of total money paid out.

"Last year HSA accounted for ten percent of all term-time earnings paid out within the University. That's good but I'm sure we can increase that figure," he said.

Managers do not presently get enough developmental experience, according to Howe, and so are not as efficient as they could be.

Howe plans to insure that managers have adequate experience at different managerial levels before they are placed in positions which require greater sophistication.