J.V. Cagers Edged by B.U.

Harvard Forfeits While Hart Rages

"It was a dirty, disgusting, sinful thing to do."

So said J.V. basketball coach Bob Hart after drawing three technicals in less than a minute, seeing two of the five players he had thrown out of the game, another injured and his cagers' first loss this season to B.U., 95-90.

The loss will go down officially as a forfeit since Hart refused to leave the gym after being ejected by referee Tom O'Donnell with two seconds left on the clock in B.U.'s Case Athletic Center.

Hart's troubles began with 8:12 to go when Crimson forward Lenny Adams fouled out and Harvard had to play four-on-five the rest of the way.

The Crimson failed to be intimidated by the loss of Adams and stretched their lead to as much as 13 in the next few minutes.

But with 2:46 remaining, and Harvard up by nine, forward Lou Silver was ejected from the game.

Silver and a B.U. player fought for a loose ball, and the ref called for a jump ball. Silver was shoved by his opponent, the whistle blew and both players were ejected from the game.

The Crimson three of Jeff Wheat, Mike Griffin and Lew Brown stayed off the B.U. onslaught for a minute-and-a-half, but the two-man edge was eventually unbeatable.

The Terriers took the lead on a lay-up and Griffin was injured on the same play with 1:01 to play. Griffin limped around the court during the closing seconds and his injury eliminated any slim hope the Crimson had.

O'Donnell called a foul on Griffin with two seconds left and Hart was off the bench and raging at the referee Hart received three quick technicals and was ordered to leave the gym.

Hart, still fuming at the refs, refused to go, and the game was forfeited to B.U.

B.U. coach Kevin Thomas said Harvard had outplayed the Terriers all the way through the game and showed no signs of losing with one man down.

Griffin penetrated the B.U. press easily, Wheat and Silver outrebounded the Terriers and the Crimson scored evenly in a generally excellent game.

"It tears my guts out to see the kids lose on a plain, old damned-bad call. That's why I was so mad," Hart said afterwards.