The Divine One

Concerts

By Peter A. Landry

A distinguishing feature of Times Square is the clip joints which stack turntables, receivers, tape decks, casettes and digital clock radios from floor to ceiling in the 15-foot display windows. When we were in New York for Winter recess, one of these dives had broken away from the traditional display of commercialism and had instead plastered the entire storefront with copies of the recently released LP The Devine Miss M.

Saturday night, the same Miss M came to Boston for a one-night stand at the Music Hall. From the moment she first shimmied onto the stage in her tacky white slit-to-the-hip lamee costume and belted out her frenzied version of "Friends," she had her sparkle-studded, magenta-lipped fans by the balls. Her act--a frantic combination of boogie-woogie and early 60's "trash"--is an orgiastic experience that is uniquely Bette.

It's hard to pinpoint where Bette is at her best. Her "Lullaby of Broadway/Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" medley, choreographed with her bumping and grinding Harlettes, opened the second act with overpowering excitement, and her version of "Leader of the Pack," acted out to poignant Shangri-La-type humming, captivated the mob. Bette Midler is equally at home with more sensitive and lyrical songs. Her version of "Delta Dawn" and her breathy "Am I Blue" left the audience breathless.

During her superbly sensuous "My Love's Gonna Take You Higher," Bette characteristically stripped the fushia, sequined mermain gown she had put on at intermission. She continued to perform--through her final rendition of "Friends," her incomparable "Chapel of Love" and a standing ovation--in her black lace strapless long-line bra and accompanying black satin skin-tight knee-length bloomers.

Bette's humor is tart, tactless and, on occasion, spontaneous. "Kevin White invited me to the Two O'Clock Lounge," she told her largely gay audience. "But I told him I already had a date at the Fens."

This was Bette's second big Boston appearance. Despite the fact that some have said she was not at her best, we're convinced it won't be her last.