New Directions

Dump Truck will travel to sone new places this spring with an expanded staff and more frequent issues. Women, Medical Ethics, and Books and Literature will be our pre-Easter themes. After vacation, we turn to American Culture, Cambridge, and The University, with a Photography Supplement to round out the reading period grind.

Our first issue on The Press and The First Amendment is somewhat of an exception to what will follow. Most of this issue is a transcript of a panel discussion held at the Crimson Centennial with J. Anthony Lukas, Stephen R. Barnett, Hiller B. Zobel, Sanford J. Ungar, Irvin M. Horowitz, and moderator Alan M. Dershowitz. But with the addition of an op-ed page to the daily paper, we have decided to limit furure Dump Trucks to Harvard-Radcliffe undergraduates.

Our intention is to encourage undergraduate writing so that we can build a viable magazine staff which will explore areas neglected or inadequately covered by the daily Crimson. We need artists and graphic designers to help us come out as often as we would like, but most of all we need more writers, people who are working on poems and short stories as well as on features and essays.

While some of the pieces you will see this spring will be done by people who aren't on the regular Crimson staff, most magazine writing requires tools people learn in the Crimson Comp. Certainly there are other places to learn the same things, but the Crimson is convenient and usually pretty thorough. We strongly recommend that you try the Comp if you are interested in working on non-fiction articles for the Supplement; you will make your prose clearer and you will have a better understanding of what it takes to produce an undergraduate publication.

In addition to the transcript, this issue includes a helpful introduction by Robert Decherd '73, the 1972 Crimson President, and a new perspective on press and academic privileges by R. Michael Kaus '73, a Crimson senior editor. We would like to thank our cartoonist Peter Kaplan whose work has appeared in previous Dump Trucks, for his cover design and his excellent drawings on the inside pages. Finally we offer our thanks to the participants in the panel discussion for sharing their ideas, experiences and perspectives with us. --The Editors