Cagers to Play Yale, Brown

Phil Brown Will Lead Bruins This Saturday

By Douglas E. Schoen

Over the desk in his office at the Horace Mann School in Bronx, N.Y., Coach Chet Slaybaugh has a picture of the finest basketball player in the school's history, Phil Brown.

Slaybaugh encouraged the 6'-5" Brown to go to Brown University and predicted last week that the Sophomore center had a chance of becoming an All-American during his collegiate career.

Brown and his teammates from Providence will have to play like All-Americans Saturday night if they are going to have a shot at beating the Crimson. The Bruins are now 6-10 and 3-3 in league play, losing last Saturday to Penn 88-60.

Tonight the cagers, who are now 10-7 and 3-2 in league play, will face Yale. They beat the Bulldogs in the Connecticut Classic last December, 79-72, but had to overcome a late Yale rally. Yale's record is now 6-11 and 3-3 in Ivy competition.

The top scorer for the Bulldogs is Tim Kearns who is averaging 16 points a game. Not far behind is Mike Baskauskas who is hitting at a 12.2 point clip.

Yale lost both its ballgames last week as they were trounced by both Penn and Princeton.

Phil Brown leads the way for the Bruins as he is averaging 14.9 points a game and 11.9 rebounds. Vaughn Clarke is the second leading scorer hitting 12.1 points a contest. Directing the Bruins attack will probably be Brooklyn bred guard Eddie Morris who is contributing 11.4 points a game.

Those fans going to the game tonight should come early to catch the freshman game. The Bullpups are now 13-0 and are led by center Rollin Chippey from Los Angeles.

Because Penn lost to Princeton last week, Harvard still has a shot at the Ivy League title. If Harvard wins the remainder of its games beating both the Tigers and the Quakers on the road, there would be a three way tie for first place necessitating a playoff.