Icemen Elect Goodenow, Noonan as Co-captains

For the first time in the history of Harvard hockey the squad has elected co-captains. Bob Goodenow and Mark Noonan were chosen yesterday to lead the team next season.

Noonan, a junior from Arlington, joined the varsity as a sophomore, teaming up with Andy Burnes on the second defensive unit. He went on to lead all defensemen in scoring with 18 points on goal and 17 assists.

This season Noonan was paired with former captain Kevin Hampe as the first defense. He scored only one goal again this year, but it was the game winner against Brown on February 28. Noonan also racked up ten assists on the season.

Point Getter

Bob Goodenow from Dearborn, Michigan, also joined the squad as a sophomore and was the leading sophomore point getter with 13 goals and 11 assists. He teamed up with Larry Desmond and Tom Paul on the first line.

This season Goodenow came up with ten goals and 20 assists, finishing fourth in overall scoring behind Bob McManama, Bill Corkery and Randy Roth. He also played the point on the power play, wreaking havoc with his hard and accurate slap shot. Roth and Jim Thomas played with Goodenow on the second line.

Noonan will mainstay next season's defensive corps. He is the only returning defenseman to have seen extensive ice time as a regular starter. Goodenow's line, which was prolific this year both on the regular and on the power play, will move up to the number one spot, filling the gap left by the departing 'Local Line'.

Goodenow and Noonan will be the only two seniors on the squad next season, and it was only fitting that they were elected as co-captains. Their leadership will be sorely needed to get the team through what promises to be the toughest schedule Harvard has ever faced.