Sophomores Lead Competition During Intramural Mat Finals

Another bunch of Crimson wrestlers closed out its season yesterday when the final intramural wrestling matches were held before a small crowd at the Indoor Athletic Building.

The upperclass championship, with few exceptions, was a succession of lopsided victories by sophomore grapplers.

Sophomore Paul McGill, 123-lb., shut out his opponent, junior Kendall Oei, 10-0, and 130-lb. sophomore James Kasting and senior Joseph Germano, 137-lbs., quickly pinned their opponents before the 145-pounders took the mat.

Senior David Lhowe and sophomore Blayne Heckel fought evenly in the day's most exciting struggle. Lhowe won with an edge in riding time.

Action returned to normal through the next three weights. Sophomores Stewart Sundlun, Daniel White, and John Addison routed their competition. Sundlun earned a pin, while White and Addison garnered lopsided point totals at 152, 160, and 177 lbs., respectively.

The 177-lb. weight class was another good match-up, which ended as sophomore William Barrett outscored senior William Shofner, 8-2.

Sophomore Bart Vandissel won by forfeit at 191 lbs., and junior Robert Kristoff became the only junior to win all day, pinning sophomore Scott Drill in the heavyweight, and final, competition.

In the earlier freshman tournament, Robert Rayle beat Matthew Vernon for the 123-lb, title in the afternoon's first match. Mark Buchbinder claimed his title without stepping onto the mats during the entire meet, since he was the only grappler who registered in the 130-lb. class.

137-Pounders

Richard Storer pinned Horace Dawson in the struggle between the two 137-pounders. Douglas Schmidt and John Lahoud both decisioned their opponents in the 145-and 152-lb. classes, respectively.

Jonathan Diehl emerged with the day's second pin when the 160-pounder downed Edward Champion. Frank Plimpton became champion of the 167-lb. class, which had the largest number of competitors at ten, by decisioning Sean Rice, 5-2.