Petering Out

By Peter A. Landry

I was in Providence, R.I., once before this year, before the season: Before Harvard won like no one thought they would win: before Dartmouth revived itself miraculously; before the Cornell collapse; before the last-second thriller with Penn; before--well before everything that has made the Ivy race what it is--I was there. In Providence, R.I.

It was cold and windy in Providence, R.I., the day I was there. And dreary. And I sat through a scrimmage with Brown, in which no one did anything to show anyone anything. It was a dull afternoon.

Today's meeting of Harvard and Brown--in the unforgettable, dreary (sometimes), cold and windy Providence, R.I.--will be a little different than that ho-hum afternoon in September. Brown has done some phenomenal things this year--for Brown that is--and the Bruins are itching to do some more.

Take for example the win-loss column. In past years you could safely concede Brown about one win a year, and rack up the rest of the games under the big "L" column.

This year things are a little different. For the first time in a long time Brown comes into the Harvard game with a winning record, and a chance for a winning season. The Bruins are 3-2-1 for the year and 3-2 in Ivy play. Among those wins have been impressive triumphs over Yale (34-25) and, in the Bruins's most recent Ivy encounter, Cornell (17-7).

Harvard, a totally unexpected 6-1 on the season and 4-1 in the Ivies, hasn't met a Brown squad of this calibre in a long, long time.

The picks:

HARVARD-BROWN--TV contest boosts interest in this one. Brown has a shot at a winning season, and, second place in the league, as well as an outside chance for first. Harvard is scrapping for a share of the Ivy title--its first since 1968.

The question:

Did Brown shoot its wad against Cornell or are the Bruins coming into their own? This could be barn-burner. Harvard 27, Brown 25.

CORNELL-DARTMOUTH--This is the one for Harvard fans. Dartmouth in a remarkable resurgance from three early-season losses has bounced back as toundingly. If Fanelli and Malone are still out for Cornell, forget it. Game is in Hanover, which is a madhouse for football. Dartmouth 17, Cornell 14.

PENN-COLUMBIA--A lot of yuks in this one. Quakers have lost two straight. Columbia is a good whipping post. Ivy single-game scoring record could be in danger. Penn 27, Columbia 10 is conservative.

YALE-PRINCETON--Elis dumped Penn last week to keep alive in the Ivy race. Things have been up-again-down-again in New Haven this fall. But this could be a definite up week. Yale 21, Princeton 7.

Last week: Two for four (.500). Season: 17 for 33 (.515). Above ground--at last.