Anthro Department To Drop Generals After Class of '75

The Anthropology Department voted unanimously yesterday to abolish senior general examinations and to test all concentrators in their sophomore year, beginning with the Class of 1976.

The Department also decided to give this year's sophomores, juniors and seniors a take-home general exam in April of their senior year.

To Synthesize

Evon Z. Vogt, chairman of the Department, said yesterday that the week-long exam will give students a chance "to synthesize what they have learned in the three branches of anthropology."

Next year sophomores will take a three-hour exam on the material they have covered in Anthropology 97. At its last meeting the Department established the new full-credit course as a concentration requirement.

The Department will still require an oral examination for seniors who are writing honors theses. Vogt said the oral exam will increase from 30 minutes to an hour, "because students never get a chance to explain their ideas."

Experiment

The revisions are part of a three-year experiment to improve the sophomore tutorial program and expose concentrators to all three branches of anthropology. Anthropology 97 will be taught in group lectures by professors and tutors from each sub-field of the concentration.