Corporation Okays Bok's Final Plans For Pusey Library

By Nicholas Lemann

The Harvard Corporation approved yesterday the final plans for the Nathan M. Pusey Library.

President Bok said last night that he is not sure whether the Board of Overseers also has to approve the plans at its March 13 meeting before he can release them to the public.

Angry Overseers

"I'd be happy to release the plans immediately," Bok said, "but I don't want a bunch of angry Overseers, who wanted prior viewing of the plans, on my hands."

Bok said that he will consult Robert Shenton, secretary to the Board of Overseers, today to find out whether the Overseers have to approve the plans.

Shenton declined last night to make any statement on the matter until he talks to President Bok today.

However, Daniel Steiner '54, general counsel to the University, said last night that he "wouldn't think the Overseers' approval would be required."

Bok said that he is being cautious about the library plans because "it's the first new project I've had since becoming President."

The Pusey Library, which is budgeted at $8 million, will be located between Widener, Houghton and Lamont Libraries. It will have three levels and will be completely underground except for a portion of its top level. Construction will start June 5