Professor Appeals for Protest Against Repression in Greece

A Harvard professor appealed to 38 public figures throughout the country yesterday, protesting the repression of academic freedom in Greece.

In a letter addressed to Senators, Representatives, and State Department and White House officials, David G. Mitten, Loeb Professor of Classical art and Archaeology, expressed his concern and alarm at suppression of students in Greek universities.

Personal Appeal

The letter included a personal appeal by Mitten, a signed resolution condemning regime repression of academic freedom by the Greek students of Harvard University, copies of the petitions signed by 2000 undergraduates and Crimson clippings relevant to the Greek situation.

"The letter is intended as a demonstration of support of academic freedom as expressed by Harvard students and faculty," Mitten said.

Greek-Americans

Mitten appealed to Senators Edward M. Kennedy '54 (D-Mass.), Edmund S. Muskie (D-Maine), Senate majority leader Mike Mansfield (D-Mt.), Senate minority leader Hugh Scott (R-Penn.), J.W. Fulbright (D-Ark.), George McGovern (D-S.D.), Edward W. Brooke (R-Mass.), Hubert H. Humphrey (D-Minn.), and several others.

Mitten also appealed to John Brademas '49 (D-Ind.), a member of the Harvard Board of Overseers, and 13 other Congressmen.

Henry A. Kissinger '50, assistant to the President for National Security Affairs, and other White House officials will also receive the letter.

Mitten said he hoped that the letter would make the leaders of this country more aware of public opinion about the policies of the Greek government.

The letter was also sent to Greek-American leaders including the Greek-Orthodox Archbishop Iakovos and Dr. Mich N. Spirtos, the president of the American Hellenic Educational Progressive Association, the largest Greek-American organization in the U.S.

Mitten said that although the political situation in Greece has produced an ephemeral economic prosperity "civil rights and liberties are too great a price to pay.