Labor Leftist Says Crimson Is Biased

A spokesman from a leftist welfare-labor organization accused The Harvard Crimson yesterday of inappropriately treating an article he termed fascist as apolitical, objective scholarship.

Paul Gallagher, a member of the National Caucus of Labor Committees, said The Crimson "prints such scientifically worded, political drivel, but refuses to print the political positions of radical labor organizations."

Gallagher said that the article, "A Substitute for Utopianism," by William W. Schroeder III, member of the Systems Dynamics at MIT, told people that they do not know what is good for them, and only allowed them to choose "the color of the slum they were forced to live in." The article appeared on The Crimson's Opinion page Tuesday.

Schroeder's position is part of an increasingly popular philosophy led by B.F. Skinner, Pierce Professor of Psychology, which encourages austerity and a lower standard of living as the only ways to save the capitalist system, Gallagher said.

"Skinnerian behaviorism can work when living conditions are made so poor that any amelioration is a positive reinforcement."

Gallagher told the 40 people at Phillips Brooks House that the present economic collapse will bring austerity and fascism unless people organize against those capitalist, political forces which are causing these conditions.

Responding to the charges, Schroeder said last night that the urban dynamics model he presented in his article is new and complicated, and therefore often misunderstood.

"The long-term objectives of urban dynamics are entirely compatible with those of radical labor," he said. "The increasing problems of cities indicate that new approaches are needed, and urban dynamics may well be a good place to start.