THE GREAT PIZZA WAR

The Mail

To the Editors of The Crimson:

Doug Shoen's review of pizzas in the Square was rather biased, and I feel that the other side of the pizza must be presented. It is well-known that there are two schools of thought regarding pizza: the thick-crusters vs. the thin-crusters. Those of us who prefer eating pizza to eating bread with a little tomato sauce generally prefer a thin base of dough. Preparing such a pizza required consummate culinary skill; slightly undercooked pizza retains that grainy powder underneath and overcooked pizza has what I understand are called "burnt" areas. The chefs at Joe's (now on Linden street) walk this perilous tightrope and seldom fall -- and working with thin dough means shunning the net. Because he insists on a thick layer of dough, Mr. Schoen requires a lot of cheese and a heavy tomato sauce on his pizzas so he can taste anything at all after munching through so much bread. Joe's thin dough base serves as a perfect vehicle for his fine cheese and his tomato sauce with its subtle blending of spices and herbs. Joe's salami pizza bathes the taste buds with glorious vibes. As if this weren't enough, you savor your pizza amidst classy prints and -- if you're lucky -- Joe himself will serenade you with his impressive variations and improvisations on the keyboard. Great cook and accomplished musician, Joe is a humble man. After one evening's beautiful and moving musical performance, he had only one thing on his mind as he walked away from his keyboard. He asked me, "Good pizza?" Let Mr. Schoen eat bread, I'll go to Joe's when I want pizza. Paul E. Bailey '72

Signed pieces appearing on The Crimson editorial page represent the opinion of their authors. Only unsigned editorials represent opinions of The Crimson staff.