Kennedy Institute Retracts Fellowship for Magruder

Jeb Stuart Magruder, the former deputy compaign director for President Nixon, who reportedly will be indicted in the Watergate bugging, will not be given a fellowship at the Institute of Politics next year.

Doris Kearns, assistant director of the Institute, said yesterday that it was clear that Magruder, who was being considered for the position, would not be coming to Harvard.

Ernest R. May, the director of the Institute of Polictis, said yesterday that the final recommendations for fellowships have gone to the Corporation for approval. May declined to say whether or not Magruder had been given a fellowship.

"The fellowship selection ought to take place in private, without intergerence from the press," May said.

Margruder was one of the "60 odd people" considered for the six fellowship positions, May said. He added that Magruder had been to Combridge twice since January to talk with him about the fellowship program and about the Watergate case.

The Cirmson reported last month that the Institute had approved a fellowship offer for Magruder. At that time, May denied the report, insisting that Magruder was only one of several people being considered.

Margruder's involvement in the Watergate case became clearer Thursday, when The Washington Post reported he told Federal prosecutors he had net with former Attorney General John N. Mitchell and Nixon lawyer John W. Dean III last year to discuss begging the Watergate.