Rifle Team Finishes With 6-6 Record, Awards First `H' to Radcliffe Woman

The Harvard rifle team took a giant step toward the establishment of a competitive rifle program this winter, boosting its record to 6-6 after a feeble 1-8 mark the year before

The Crimson rifle squad is an offshoot of the Rifle Club, and while it receives no financial aid from the University, it is an official varsity sport. Last winter eight undergraduates earned varsity rifle letters.

Until recently, the rifle team was low in the public interest, relegated to the level of club and minor varsity sports. But despite its "lowly" status, the rifle team has pioneered a major breakthrough in Harvard sports.

Letter for Woman

The reason for all the hoopla and fanfare was the rifle team's first-ever decision to award a varsity letter to a woman. Betsy Inskeep, a sophomore living in Whitman Hall, became the first woman undergraduate ever to win a full Harvard varsity letter.

"Betsy first joined the team as a freshman," team captain Mark Cancian said yesterday. "She shot with the team for most of their matches, but it didn't count because of the NCAA and Ivy rules against participation by women."

Last season, Inskeep shot with the varsity, and, through changes in the rules brought about over the summer, she became eligible for a "Major H."

If Inskeep's Varsity H was the pioneering highlight of the season, the competitive hightlight came in the MIT match. MIT is the strongest rifle team in the New England area, and Harvard, heretofore a patsy by MIT standards, nearly upset the Englineers before bowing, 1239-1236.

The Crimson standout for the season was Dave Giavallese, described by Cancian as the best shot on the team. Giavallese consistently shot in the 250-260 range out of a possible 300. In New England competition anything above 250 is outstanding.

Rifle competition in the New England area is run along international rules. Under this format, each competitor shoots 30 shots, 10 each from prone, kneeling and standing positions. Each shot is rated from zero to ten, with a score of 300 the maximum possible. Each team can send up as many as ten competitors, but only the top five finishers count for each team.