Filmmaker Vladimir K. Petric To Be Luce Visiting Professor

Vladimir K. Petric, author, filmmaker, and visiting lecturer on Visual and Environmental Studies last Fall, will be the Henry R. Luce Visiting Professor in Film Studies for 1973-74. He will succeed Standish D. Lawder, the first Luce professor of film at Harvard.

Although the University will not make an official announcement until May 3, reliable sources said yesterday that Petric has been selected and will accept the Luce film chair. Petric was unavailable for comment yesterday.

Petric has been recommended for the Luce professorship by a search committee of Faculty members headed by Daniel J. Robbins, director of the Fogg Art Museum. Robbins and Ellen P. Wiese, coordinator of the Luce professorship, declined to comment on Petric's appointment until after an official announcement is made.

Lawder said Monday that he considered Petric to be well-qualified for the one-year Luce visiting professorship. He added that he would be happy to see Petric serve as his replacement.

Petric is currently a visiting professor at the State University of New York at Buffalo and at the State University of New York College at Purchase.

Petric has been the director of the Academy of Theater/Radio/Film and Television at Belgrade University in Yugoslavia. During the past year he has also served as the Visiting Fulbright Scholar at the Museum of Modern Art's Film Study Center in New York.

Petric is the author of several books on film. His works include The Magic Screen, Film and Reality, Introduction to the Film, and The Evolution of Film Genres. He has also written a book on television entitled Television: The Eighth Power.

In addition to writing, Petric has made and acted in several films, several of which appeared last Friday on WCVB's "Screening Room.

The Luce film chair was established in January 1972 under the Henry R. Luce Professorship Program.