Waterpoloists to Oppose Tough NYAC

By Richard H. P. sia

The Harvard waterpolo club confronts the awesome New York Athletic Club (NYAC) squad in the opening of the two-day Harvard Invitational tourney at 3:30 p.m. today in the IAB.

The New York AAU club enter s the battle with an uninterrupted five-year win streak. Last year, the club whipped the Mexican Olympic team that placed among the top ten in Munich. In its past five meetings with the Crimson, the New Yorkers have brutalized Harvard waterpoloists.

"There's no doubt that this'll be our biggest game," Harvard captam Mike Graff said yesterday. "We have a chance to pull off a win this time."

Strong Challenge

Harvard will field its strongest line-up in recent seasons with Graff, the Crimson's most aggressive defenseman, and Phil Johnchkeer and Dan Daiss, who paced last fall's offense. Jerry Nourse, a four-year USC waterpolo veteran and now at the B-School, and Steve Sheffield from the GSAS will add their skills to the Crimson challenge.

The goalie may be Harvard's weak spot. Jim Roxlo will guard the nets and his abilities are untested against fine shooting teams like NYAC. "We have to work to keep them [the New Yorkers] from shooting, so we can take some pressure off Jim," Graff said.

Outlandish Infractions

AAU rules will govern throughout the tourney and games are likely to be extremely rough and violent. In contrast to the five-foul limit under NCAA rules, AAU rules allow unlimited fouls and one-minute penalty-box disincentives for outlandish infractions. Instead of two referees on both sides of the pool, AAU requires only one judge.

The Crimson meets Northeastern at 1 p.m. Sunday in what should be a repeat of last week's 9-3 romp over the Huskies. Harvard's "B" team battles Northeastern "B" at 1:30 p.m. today and faces University of Rhode Island at 11 a.m. and Boston College at 2 p.m. tomorrow.

The tournament winner will be chosen on the basis of win/loss records at the end of the series.