Students Organize Against Moving To 'Cliffe Houses

Nearly 75 freshmen who have been unwillingly assigned to live at Radcliffe next year met in the Freshmen Union last night to plan a strategy for pressing their demands for reassignment.

Leaders of the group said after the meeting that they will see Dean Whitlock and Genevieve Austin, assistant dean of Students at Radcliffe, today to request that the administration reconvert Claverly Hall into a sophomore dormitory.

Reconversion of Claverly would create an additional 82 spaces at the Harvard Houses.

Paul D. Tosetti '76, a leader of the dissident freshmen, said that they had gathered 116 signatures on a petition asking that Whitlock meet with representatives of the group.

Tosetti said that only students who had been assigned to Radcliffe without listing any of its Houses among their five choices had signed the petition.

Whitlock confirmed on Monday that about 75 students had been assigned to Radcliffe without requesting it anywhere on their housing forms.

Clifford M. Lewis '76, who has been assigned to South House, said last night that the group will try to obtain a written promise from the Administration that guarantees students who apply for transfer to Harvard Houses priority over freshmen in next year's housing pool.

Lewis also said that the group will ask CHUL to retract its ruling that forbids housing transfers until December 1.