Injured Thinclads Trounce Dartmouth

Set Four Meet Records

Four meet records were broken or tied yesterday as the injury-riddled Crimson thinclads dominated a strong Dartmouth team, allowing the Big Green firsts in only four events, in a 103-51 rout at Hanover, N.H.

Despite leg injuries, sprinter Baylee Reid won the 100-yard dash and finished second in the 220 and Nick Leone out-distanced the 440 field to bolster two record-breaking performances by distance runner John Quirk.

Quirk broke the 11-year-old Dartmouth mile run record, winning the event in 4:08:0, to better the old mark of 4:09:6 set in 1962 by Harvard's Mark Miller. He also set a new time in the two-mile run, knocking two seconds off the old 9:07:5 record.

Sam Butler and Steve Dart, two surprise winners in the Crimson's strong showing in the track events, came in first and second respectively in the 120-yard high hurdles. Dartmouth was favored because a leg injury to Harvard's star hurdler Dewey Hickman kept him out of the race.

"We'd pretty much conceded the hurdles, then they [Butler and Dart] came up with both first and second place for us," team manager Raf James said. "Clutch performances from people we weren't counting on won this meet for us."

The javelin throw was the day's big disappointment for the Crimson field events team. Harvard favorite Adrian Tew failed to place as the Big Green swept the event, with Rusty Gapinski setting a new meet record of 234 ft. 9 in.

Harvard won as expected in the pole vault. Blayne Heckel tied the meet record at 14 ft. 6 in. Vincent Vanderpoole-Wallace, also hampered by a slight muscle sprain, did not place in the long jump and was scratched from the triple jump. Wallace's absence was not detrimental however, as Leon Sharpe won both jumps for the Crimson.

Mel Embree continued his domination of the high jump, winning even though he had a slightly sub-par, 6 ft. 6 in., performance. Jay Hughes took the hammer throw with a toss of nearly 175 feet.

He placed second in the shot put, sandwiched between the first and third place Dartmouth winners.