Hampe, Hagerty, Bridich Win Lettermen's Awards

By Seth M. Kupferberg

Kevin Hampe, the first Crimson athlete in 13 years to captain two non-related varsities, won Harvard's highest athletic honor, the William J. Bingham Award for "integrity, courage, leadership and ability," Monday night at the Annual Senior Lettermen's Dinner.

"Super is the adjective for Kevin," baseball coach Loyal Park said Monday. "Having him around gives you an extra coach." Hampe also captained the hockey team.

John Hagerty, who played tight end for the football team and captained the lacrosse varsity, picked up the Francis H. Burr Scholarship and $1700 for combining academic and athletic ability.

Rich Bridich, a defensive cornerback who doubled as starting catcher for the championship baseball team despite ankle, thigh and knee injuries during his last two seasons, won the Jack Fadden Award for overcoming "physical adversity." Swimming manager Jack Berizzi took the Manager's Trophy.

As the Crimson baseball team's centerfielder this year, Hampe raised his previous season's batting average 110 points to .333--.419 in EIBL play--to win the Charles Blair Bat for Eastern League hitting supremacy.

In hockey, Hampe won a regular spot as a defenseman midway through his sophomore year. This winter he tallied three goals and nine assists to make the All-Ivy second team.

Hampe came to Harvard from Dedham, where he won All-State honors in hockey and baseball, and majored in history. He will travel with the baseball team on its Italian tour next month, and hopes to go on to law school or professional sports.

A six-member selection committee headed by Athletic Director Robert B. Watson '37, cited Hampe for "serving the high purposes of Harvard in the tradition of Bill Bingham," Harvard's athletic director for 25 years.

Hagerty, the leading receiver on the Crimson squad last fall with 19 receptions for 332 yards and three touchdowns, ended his career in fourth place on Harvard's all-time receiving list and led the lacrosse team in scoring the last two seasons.