Waterpoloists Nab Seven Wins In Montreal, Quebec Matches

By Richard H.P. Sia

The Harvard waterpolo club splashed its way through 11 games in foreign waters last weekend, splitting a pair of decisions with the 1972 Canadians Olympic team in Montreal and taking six out of nine contests in the Canadian Junior National Championships in Quebec.

The Canadian Olympic Squad repeatedly burst through Harvard's struggling defense to down the Crimson 9-6 in the first match Friday. The Crimson countered with an 8-6 win in the second game, but only because the Canadians played their second string.

"The opener was tough and we were weak at the goal," Harvard captain Mike Graff said yesterday. He said the second game was close, but the second Canadian team was "much weaker than their first string."

The Crimson went 6 for 9 in a series of exhibition games in the Canadian Junior National tourney on Saturday and Sunday and defeated the Quebec Junior Provincial team that won the tournament title, 5-4.

Harvard almost upset the Quebec Senior squad by leading the Canadians 8-7 with 45 seconds left to play. But the Quebec team snuck a quick goal past Crimson goalie Jim Roxlo to force the game into overtime. The Crimson faltered and lost the decision, 9-8.

Steve Sheffield emerged as Harvard's scoring leader by firing 32 goals in 11 games. Graff followed with 25 points, Dan Daiss notched 12 and Al Bozer scored 8 to pace the offense.